2. Farmer’s/Farm Family name: Rick and Betsy Buist
3. Street address: 11920 24th Ave
4. City: Marne
5. State (2-letter abbreviation): MI
6. Zip: 49435
7. Phone number: 616 916-8210
8. Email: email@example.com
9. Website: NA
Type of Farm/Farm Practices
10. Are you Certified Organic? No
11. Are you Certified Biodynamic? No
12. If you are not Certified Organic, do you use organic production methods? Yes
13. Do you use synthetic fertilizers? No
14. Do you use any of the following: nonorganic pesticides, herbicides, parasiticides, or fungicides? No
15. Do you keep livestock? Yes
16. What animals do you keep?
Chickens (list breeds): Cornish Rock- roaster/broilers
Ducks (list breeds):
Turkeys (list breeds):
Other Poultry (list type and breeds):
Cows (list breeds):
Goats (list breeds):
Pigs (list breeds):
Sheep (list breeds):
Other Animals (list type and breeds):
17. Do you use antibiotics? No
18. Are the animals pasture-fed? Yes
19. How much and for how long: inside until 3 weeks at 4 weeks outside 24/7
20. Do you practice managed grazing? Yes
21. Do you apply compost or compost tea? No
22. Do you apply other soil amendments? No
23. Do you use supplemental feed?
For poultry (list type): Starter-grower grain mixed at the local feed mill.
For cows, sheep, and/or goats (list type):
For pigs (list type):
24. Do you supply raw milk? No
25. Do you keep your barn and milk room clean?
26. Do you keep the cows clean/teats washed?
27. Do you thoroughly wash your milking equipment after every milking?
28. Are cows with mastitis or other health problems excluded from milking?
29. Are cows tested for disease?
Which tests, and how often:
30. Is the milk routinely tested for pathogens, coliform count?
Which tests, and how often:
31. Is the farm water routinely tested? No
32. Are milk and milk products kept well chilled?
33. Other/Explain (list any other routine practices, or explain any of your answers above?
34. Do you sell milk? No
35. Meat butchered at a USDA-certified or state-certified abattoir? Yes
36. Meat butchered on the farm? No
37. Describe or explain any butchering practices: We take our chickens to an Amish farm to be processed.
38. Please check off the products you sell and list current prices
Raw whole milk:
Raw ice cream:
Raw sour cream:
Raw cottage cheese:
Cheese (list types):
Other dairy (list):
Chicken: $3.00 a pound
Eggs (list type, chicken, duck, etc) :
Produce (list typical offerings):
Prepared foods (list typical offerings):
39. Do you only sell animals that are raised on your farm at the address listed?
We are a small gentlemen farm that is raising chicken at this time. We have done grass fed beef as well and will do it again in the future. We are currently using Joel Salatin’s model of farming.
40. Are the animals born on your farm at the address listed? No
Day old chicks where purchased from a hatchery in Zeeland. We then raised them. They stay indoors approximately 3 weeks and then go into pens. They then are in the pens outside 24/7. We move the pens daily to ensure healthy produce.
41. Do you ever purchase animals from auctions or from your processor or do you ever buy parts from your processor (whole pork bellies…)? No
42. Do you personally attend to your animals at least once a day or do you hire help or farmers to do that for you? Personally Attend
43. Do you purchase pre-mixed feed from an elevator or do you grind your own? Purchase