February 20, 2016: All About Bone Broth
Meredith Cochran of The Osso Good Co. shared her bone broth journey with us! She and her husband launched their business about one year ago. While she was in Traditional Chinese Medicine school she learned about bone broth and how it has been prescribed for centuries and that sparked her passion for providing this nutritious healing food to everyone. She wanted to give people the opportunity to heal themselves from the inside out.
Bone broth is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. It is high in protein, essential amino acids, and gelatin. Gelatinous bone broth has the power to heal and seal your gut, boost your immunity, strengthen your hair, skin, and nails, help you recover from injuries and heal arthritis. It’s no wonder this magic elixir is included in nearly every meal plan intended for complete health and wellness.
The Osso Good Co. makes chicken, beef, three Chinese herb-infused broths (Revive the Gut, Immuni-Qi and Nourish the Mama), an AIP (autoimmune protocol) friendly broth and a broth for dogs. We sampled the classic chicken broth and it was amazingly delicious!
- Use high quality meat (For the beef: they use four different types of beef bones to provide a wide variety of collagen and add extra meat trim to the pot. For the chicken: they use the whole chicken, heads and feet). The bones are always roasted first.
- Fill the pot with the roasted bones and add water to just cover. Add vegetables (such as carrots, celery, onion, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, peppercorns) and a splash of apple cider vinegar to draw out the healing minerals into the broth.
- Barely simmer (a rolling giggle of a simmer) for 24-36 hours.
Their broths are sold online and at the Marinwood Market, the Santa Venetia Super Market, Mill Valley Market and Coyote Coffee in Mill Valley.
One of Meredith’s favorite ways to enjoy her broth is the Osso Good Bone Broth Smoothie:
- 10 ounces Beef or Chicken Bone Broth
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup cilantro
Warm the Osso Good Bone Broth in a sauce pan until it’s simmering.
Add warmed bone broth and remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until frothy. Optional, but good… you can add a few splashes of hot sauce to give it a little bite.
Pour into a mug and enjoy.
By Karen Hamilton-Roth & Meredith Cochran