The Grand Rapids Chapter of The Weston A. Price Foundation:
NOURISHING WAYS OF WEST MICHIGAN
Join us as we meet for support and friendship to learn more together about healthy eating, how to nourish our families, natural living, homesteading, & more.
We’ll have cooking demonstrations, various health topics, farmer talks on growing/raising healthy food, children’s health, potlucks, & movie nights!
Updated 2024 Meeting and Book Reading Club Info:
~Where we’ll meet: Oakhill Church, 1930 Leonard St NE, Grand Rapids
~When: 2nd Mondays January to June, with more TBD
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm book club (for those who choose to participate)
- 7:00 – 8:30 pm meeting
January 8, 2024
- Reading club: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon; read preface + introduction (pages 1-63) Order here: https://a.co/d/7GZCBiE
- Meeting: local blogger and author Kelly the Kitchen Kop will give a short intro to the WAPF/Nourishing Traditions way of eating and the difference it can make for your family; learn about our local chapter and ask the board questions.
February 12, 2024:
- Reading club: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon; read Cultured Dairy Products section (pages 80-88) + page 611. Order here: https://a.co/d/7GZCBiE
- Meeting: raw milk – benefits and usages; guest speaker -> Betsy Meerman from Green Pastures (on why her family started the farm, how they raise their cows, their process for delicious milk, other ways to use raw milk).
March 11, 2024:
- Reading club: Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon; read Stocks section (pages 116-126) + Poultry section (pages 279-298) Order here: https://a.co/d/7GZCBiE
- Meeting: broth demonstration with cutting and using whole chicken … Matt & Cindy from Louise Earl Butcher.
April 8, 2024:
- Reading club: Vaccines, Autoimmunity, and the Changing Nature of Childhood Illness by Thomas Cowan
- Meeting (tentative): representative from MI chapter of CHD to speak on their vision, initiatives, vaccine dangers, how we can support each other …
May 13, 2024:
- Reading club: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price (exact range TBD)
- Meeting (tentative): biologic dentistry presentation by Dr. Piotrowski of Precision Family Dental
June 10, 2024:
- Reading club: The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat, and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
- Meeting: Fabulous Fats – why fats don’t make you fat, how eliminating processed vegetable oils can slash systemic inflammation, guidelines for implementing which fats and when.
Here’s more info from Rachael, one of our new co-chapter leaders:
Greetings Nourishing Ways of West Michigan followers!
We (the organizers) have exciting news to share with everyone. We are reinvigorating the Grand Rapids Chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation. We have had personnel turnover with regard to the Board as well as Chapter leadership. I’m taking over as co-chapter leader along with a new friend, Sarah Rivera. Part of this turnover includes looking at historical processes and procedures, to include our use of Meetup. For a variety of reasons and cost concerns, we have decided to permanently drop our Meetup subscription and transition to use of the (free) Telegram app for connecting and disseminating information. I have created a private Telegram channel entitled Nourishing Ways of West Michigan, which can be accessed via the above link. Meetup will be phased out in very short order, so if you wish to remain connected, please meet us over there.
On Telegram over the next few weeks, expect to see messages regarding upcoming events and Chapter meetings. We are excited to reestablish our in-person community and can’t wait to see what the future holds. Telegram is one step in the direction toward more real-time resource sharing, conversation, and real food camaraderie. It will also hopefully keep us engaged between our in-person encounters. The platform can be accessed by both phone and computer.
Please don’t hesitate to message me, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, or Sarah if you have any questions or concerns in the interim. (Contact info here.) The Telegram access link will also be posted to our FB page.
Nourishing Ways of West Michigan (NWWM) is a non-profit organization dedicated to educating our community about nutrient-dense foods. This education embraces the ancient wisdom of traditional cultures as shown by the research of the Weston A. Price Foundation and written about in Sally Fallon’s book, Nourishing Traditions. As a local chapter of the Weston A. Price Foundation we work to connect local farmers with consumers. We provide information on local sources of organic fruits, vegetables, grains, pasture-fed livestock, eggs, dairy products, and how properly prepared foods may be integrated into your life.