1. Name of farm: Eden Farm / Schmiedicke Farm
2. Farmer’s/Farm Family name: Schmiedicke
3. Street address: 6705 W. County line Rd
4. City: Greenville
5. State (2-letter abbreviation): MI
6. Zip: 48838
7. Phone number: 6167546829
8. Email: email@example.com
9. Website: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/M40417
Type of Farm/Farm Practices
10. Are you Certified Organic? No
11. Are you Certified Biodynamic? No
12. If you are not Certified Organic, do you use organic production methods? Yes
13. Do you use synthetic fertilizers? No
14. Do you use any of the following: nonorganic pesticides, herbicides, parasiticides, or fungicides? No
15. Do you keep livestock? Yes
16. What animals do you keep? Pigs, Chickens, ducks, and Jersey Cows
Chickens (list breeds): Barred Rock, cornish rock cross meat birds, Isa browns
Ducks (list breeds): Khaki Kamble
Turkeys (list breeds):
Other Poultry (list type and breeds):
Cows (list breeds): Jersey
Goats (list breeds):
Pigs (list breeds): Hampshire, York, duroc
Sheep (list breeds):
Other Animals (list type and breeds):
17. Do you use antibiotics? No
18. Are the animals pasture-fed? Yes
19. How much and for how long: As much as possible, usually their whole life except winter.
20. Do you practice managed grazing Yes
21. Do you apply compost or compost tea Yes
22. Do you apply other soil amendments? Yes
23. Do you use supplemental feed?
For poultry (list type): We grow our own oats and barley and use that. We also use some corn and soy, which is bought in.
For cows, sheep, and/or goats (list type):
For pigs (list type):
24. Do you supply raw milk? No
25. Do you keep your barn and milk room clean? Yes
26. Do you keep the cows clean/teats washed? Yes
27. Do you thoroughly wash your milking equipment after every milking? Yes
28. Are cows with mastitis or other health problems excluded from milking? Yes
29. Are cows tested for disease? No
Which tests, and how often?
30. Is the milk routinely tested for pathogens, coliform count? No
Which tests, and how often?
31. Is the farm water routinely tested? No
32. Are milk and milk products kept well chilled? Yes
33. Other/Explain (list any other routine practices, or explain any of your answers above? At this point we are just using the milk for our family and for feed and extra to the pigs. Ellie and her calf are totally fed on pasture, clean well water, fresh air, and sunshine. Extra milk goes to the pigs.
34. Do you sell milk? No
35. Meat butchered at a USDA-certified or state-certified abattoir? No
36. Meat butchered on the farm? Yes
37. Describe or explain any butchering practices: We butcher chickens and some pork here on the farm, quickly, cleanly, and humanely.
38. Please check off the products you sell and list current prices
Raw whole milk:
Raw ice cream:
Raw sour cream:
Raw cottage cheese:
Cheese (list types):
Other dairy (list):
Pork: 450/whole hog 300/half hog
Chicken: 15/whole bird
Eggs (list type, chicken, duck, etc) : chicken egss 2$/dozen
Produce (list typical offerings):
Prepared foods (list typical offerings): all manner of vegetables, call for price
Other: maple syrup 6$/pint
39. Do you only sell animals that are raised on your farm at the address listed?
39a. Details: yes, we only sell animals that we raise here
40. Are the animals born on your farm at the address listed?
40a. Details: Not all animals that we sell are born at the farm.
41. Do you ever purchase animals from auctions or from your processor or do you ever buy parts from your processor (whole pork bellies…)?
41a. Details: we do purchase some animals from auctions or suppliers
42. Do you personally attend to your animals at least once a day or do you hire help or farmers to do that for you?
42a. Details: Our family does all the work ourselves. Everything.
43. Do you purchase pre-mixed feed from an elevator or do you grind your own?
43a. Details: We are in the process of growing more and more of our own hay and grain, though we still need to buy some of it.