1. Name of farm: Shady Side Farm
2. Farmer’s/Farm Family name: Mike & Lona Bronkema
3. Street address: 13275 Blair Street
4. City: Holland
5. State (2-letter abbreviation): MI
6. Zip: 49424
7. Phone number: 616-786-3827
8. Email: email@example.com
9. Website: www.shadysidefarm.com
Type of Farm/Farm Practices
10. Are you Certified Organic? Yes
11. Are you Certified Biodynamic? No
12. If you are not Certified Organic, do you use organic production methods?
13. Do you use synthetic fertilizers? No
14. Do you use any of the following: nonorganic pesticides, herbicides, parasiticides, or fungicides? No
15. Do you keep livestock? Yes
16. What animals do you keep?
Chickens (list breeds):
Ducks (list breeds):
Turkeys (list breeds):
Other Poultry (list type and breeds):
Cows (list breeds): Belted Galloway
Goats (list breeds):
Pigs (list breeds):
Sheep (list breeds): Polypay
Other Animals (list type and breeds):
17. Do you use antibiotics? No
18. Are the animals pasture-fed? Yes
19. How much and for how long: Animals are pasture fed during the growing season and fed our own hay during the winter.
20. Do you practice managed grazing? Yes
21. Do you apply compost or compost tea? Yes
22. Do you apply other soil amendments? Yes
23. Do you use supplemental feed?
For poultry (list type):
For cows, sheep, and/or goats (list type): We provide access to minerals and salt for our animals year-round, and occasionally supplement our pregnant and/or lactating ewes’ diet with a little of our own oats or corn.
For pigs (list type):
24. Do you supply raw milk? No
25. Do you keep your barn and milk room clean?
26. Do you keep the cows clean/teats washed?
27. Do you thoroughly wash your milking equipment after every milking?
28. Are cows with mastitis or other health problems excluded from milking?
29. Are cows tested for disease?
Which tests, and how often:
30. Is the milk routinely tested for pathogens, coliform count?
Which tests, and how often:
31. Is the farm water routinely tested?
32. Are milk and milk products kept well chilled?
33. Other/Explain (list any other routine practices, or explain any of your answers above?
34. Do you sell milk? No
35. Meat butchered at a USDA-certified or state-certified abattoir? Yes
36. Meat butchered on the farm? No
37. Describe or explain any butchering practices:
38. Please check off the products you sell and list current prices
Raw whole milk:
Raw ice cream:
Raw sour cream:
Raw cottage cheese:
Cheese (list types):
Other dairy (list):
Beef/veal: Grass-fed beef from our Belted Galloway cattle, sold by the 1/4 or 1/2 cow.
Mutton/lamb: Grass-fed lamb from our flock, sold by the whole lamb. Available late summer through fall. Also cuts of lamb (USDA processed) are available at farmers markets during the summer and fall.
Eggs (list type, chicken, duck, etc) :
Produce (list typical offerings): We grow certified organic dry beans, many of them heirloom varieties. We also have our Wapsie Valley corn ground for corn meal and grits/polenta.
Prepared foods (list typical offerings):
39. Do you only sell animals that are raised on your farm at the address listed?
40. Are the animals born on your farm at the address listed? Yes
41. Do you ever purchase animals from auctions or from your processor or do you ever buy parts from your processor (whole pork bellies…)? No
42. Do you personally attend to your animals at least once a day or do you hire help or farmers to do that for you? Personally Attend
43. Do you purchase pre-mixed feed from an elevator or do you grind your own?
44. Where can customers find you? (check all that apply):