Over 1200 people from all over the world convened in Anaheim, CA this year for the annual Wise Traditions Conference! The traditionally prepared food was delicious ~ what a treat to have amazing food sourced, prepared and served and the dishes washed! The speakers were inspiring and informative and the exhibitors were knowledgeable and interesting. The conference is so large that it’s difficult to tell a cohesive story about it so I’ll share a few pearls from some of the presentations I attended.
Sally Fallon Morell’s presentation at the WAPF Chapter leader meeting
There are 15,000 members in the WAPF community. Memberships cover over half of the expenses for the running of the WAPF, including the new restaurant project and other projects.
There are three new brochures available this year:
- Nutrition for Mental Health
- Sugar Alert
- Dangers of Vegan and Vegetarian Diets
This year there are more states than ever that can sell raw milk.
- 41 states – can sell raw milk
- 5 states – can sell raw pet milk
The WAPF is now doing one day conferences for $35-$40. They plan to do 2/year. This coming year in 2016 the conferences will be in the Adirondacks and in Nova Scotia.
Philip Weeks ~ Ancient Medicine
Philip is a naturopath, an herbalist and acupuncturist from the UK. He was a great presenter, very engaging and knowledgeable. The interesting thing about him is that he has studied Greek, Ayurvedic, Chinese and Arabic medicine.
He talked about our health and our inherited constitution ~ the key factor is the nutrition of our mother during pregnancy and breastfeeding. We need to educate our young women and men about the importance of good nutrition for healthy babies.
Even if the constitution is poor, one can live well and healthfully but need to do so carefully to not stress the body.
He talked a lot about bio-accumulation of toxins ~ that we can’t have a healthy body without a healthy environment. There are 80,000 man-made chemicals; 1000 new ones created each year. Some chemicals attach to our DNA ~ hair dyes, mercury, formaldehyde, nitrosamines.
But our DNA is not our destiny. We can affect the way our genes express themselves.
As far as nourishment, if you can’t make a food, you shouldn’t eat it. Or if your grandmother wouldn’t know what a food is, you shouldn’t be eating it.
He said the mineral content of foods has declined drastically.
For example, comparing a carrot grown in 1940 to one in 2002: there is 48% less calcium and 75% less magnesium.
Average sugar consumption has increased from 5 kgs/year in 1830 to 70 kgs/year in the year 2000 (that’s 36 teaspoons/day).
One secret of health preservation is sleep. Avoid blue light from devices 2-3 hours before bed. It suppresses melatonin production for 3 hours.
If you snore ~ there is a 40% increased risk of dying compared to those who don’t (stroke, heart disease, etc)
Go to sleep as much as you can before midnight ~ every hour of sleep prior to midnight = 2 hours of sleep after
The odds for dying earlier from:
- Air pollution = 5%
- Obesity = 20%
- Excessive alcohol = 30%
- Loneliness = 45%
In the 1980’s 20% of Americans felt lonely.
In 2010 40% of Americans felt lonely.
Human bodies are taking longer to decompose now due to all the preservatives in our food.
We need to get ill, to get a fever, sweat and rest for the body to get rid of Epstein-Barr from your childhood, the cold from last year, toxic metabolites, viruses, bacteria, etc.
Surprisingly, he said our gut microbiome is basically fixed by the age of 7.
Philip recommends fasting – it increases the numbers of mitochondria in neurons so it improves memory and cognitive function.
There are lots of ways to fast. Some examples are broth only or juice only or intermittent fasting ~ 2 days/ week eat 500 calories/day.
Calorie restriction can prolong life as much as 40%.
When our bodies don’t have access to food, they switch from growth mode to repair mode.
The Free and Healthy Children International booth with Victoria Anderson of South Pasadena Homeopathy and Deborah Landowne of Marin Homeopathy.
Ask The Practitioner Panel
Forced Vaccination. What can you do?
- Philip Weeks suggested homeopathy. It sounded very similar to CEASE Therapy, detoxing from vaccines with homeopathy.
- Kim Schuette suggested increasing probiotics, food-based vitamin C and a series of homeopathics to support kidney, liver and lymphatic systems.
- Louisa Williams suggested Notatum by BioResource, Inc. to be put directly on injection site.
- Tom Cowan suggested eating raw, rather than cooked, fats.
Tom Cowan and his family launched Dr. Cowan’s Garden, his line of powders made from vegetables from his garden.
Jim Marlowe ~ Interpret Your Own Blood Tests
The most basic things to consider when not as healthy as you would like:
- Improve nutrition
- Improve sleep hygiene (go to sleep as much as you can before midnight – every hour prior to midnight = 2 hours of sleep after midnight).
Fluoride is the best at inhibiting enzyme activity ~ meaning that it’s a poison. Prozac is a fluoride poison. Statins poison enzymes.
Donna Wild ~ Non-invasive Testing for Nutritional Deficiencies
Donna described how to do all of these DIY tests!
- Dr. Coca’s Pulse Test for food allergies
- Candida Saliva Test
- Barnes Basal Body Temperature Test for Thyroid Function
- Iodine Patch Test
- Adrenal Insufficiency Test
- Calcium Cuff Test for tissue calcium
- Zinc Tally Test
- Acid/Base testing for acidosis
Attendees traveled from Canada, France, the UK, Estonia, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea.
The Find Real Food App is up and running.
There are 14,000 approved products with 1100 brands and farms. There are 30 searchable food categories and over 100,000 locations! You can click on the location to see what they sell.
The Restaurant Rating Guide is still in process, likely coming next year.
The Healing Quest PBS show made a Nicholas Gonzalez remembrance DVD of his Brain Food segments.
Sandrine Love with her new book, The Adventures of Andrew Price.
Next year’s conference will be in Montgomery, Alabama. The area is experiencing an agricultural renaissance of grass-based farms and it’s centrally located.
Alan Savory was the guest speaker at the banquet. He discussed holistic management of agriculture. He said that agriculture is the foundation of civilization. Only 5% of the planet is viable for crop production.
Sandra Van Gilder ~ Movement and Sleep
- Should get 9 hours of sleep at night.
- Everyone should be in bed by 9 pm
- We don’t feel the effects of sleep deprivation
- Melatonin kills pathogens in our guts
- Need dark for cortisol levels
- For good sleep use pillows under knees and neck
Gary Gray developed exercises
- Play (move) like kids
- Variety – lunge and reach in all directions
- Emphasize rotation in hips and upper back (low back isn’t designed to rotate)
Exercise machines were designed by studying cadavers.
- Walking is the simplest form of the lunge.
- Best health movement is moving throughout the day, gentle movement.
Mary Cordaro ~ Your Home as a Safe Haven
Mary talked about how the built environment affects human and environmental health.
Some tips to protect you from different forms of EMF:
In bedroom and office
- Unplug electronics at night for sleep.
- Get a battery-operated clock
- Avoid electric blankets.
- Move bed away from walls with service and subpanels. Avoid transformer plugs.
- Move cables and power strips as far away from feet/body as possible.
- Use wired keyboard, get hands off plugged in laptop. Use laptop on battery while on lap. Get service panel inspected, then turn off breakers.
Cordless phones – emit RF 24/7
- Use corded phone
To reduce cell phone RF exposure
- Use corded phone – forward cell calls to land line
- Put in airplane mode
- Minimize cell phone use
- Talk on speaker
- Use blue tube wired headset with ferrite bead filter
- Keep cell phones away from babies and children
- Buy a basic phone for use when away from home
- Use a tablet away from home. Turn off or in airplane mode when not in use
- Place smart phone 15 feet away from people at home
- Put smart phone in airplane mode or off during sleep
Wifi – from router and from device
- Minimum – unplug wireless router during sleep
- Keep a safe distance
- Turn off wifi
Baby monitor – same as a cell phone, high levels of RF 24/7
- Best is a wired computer with a webcam
- Opt out
- Request replacement analog meter
- Sleep in another room away from smart meter
- Avoid smart appliances
- Change dimmer switches to on/off switch
- Avoid CFL (compact fluorescent lights) and fluorescent
- Use incandescent, halogen or LED on a regular switch
Sitting in the sauna (Personal Infrared Sauna)!
Basic Traditional Cooking – “Coolking”
- Cooking is a life skill that has been lost – it must be brought back
- Should be taught in home and at school
- Most effective and safest form of health care
- Efficiency is critical
- If we don’t start turning things around soon, nourishing recipes will be lost for good and disease will continue to rise
- Need to bring family dinner back in style
It takes two weeks to change the taste buds.
You can change behavior in two months.
People have been thriving on traditional methods of cooking for thousands of years.
Weston Price discovered communities throughout the world living free of disease and eating nutrient dense foods. These communities had no chronic illness or obesity and they lived long healthy lives.
Americans are sicker than ever.
This is the first generation of kids destined to have a shorter lifespan than their parents.
- 1 in 3 kids have diabetes
- 1 in 5 will have cancer
- 2 in 3 are obese
- 1 in 31 boys have autism
- 1 in 68 children have autism
- 1 in 6 have learning disability
- 1 in 10 have ADHD
- 1 in 2 kids have chronic illness
- 1 in 30 have severe mood challenges
Two choices – FEAR
Forget everything and run
Face everything and rise
Popcorn – pop with red palm oil to give it an orange color then add some maple syrup.
Legally, companies can call an oil olive oil if it has only 10% olive oil in it!!
“Salads are killing America” ~ Sally Fallon (because of the prevalence of industrially-processed oils in salad dressings)
If you put olive oil in the fridge and it stays liquid, it’s not pure olive oil.
Apple Soda recipe
Buy a large jar (one gallon) of apple juice, pour off 1-cup juice and add ½ cup whey and ½ cup honey. Ferment on the counter for 3 days.
- ½ cup whey
- 1 cup fruit
- pinch of salt
- ginger, optional
- filtered water to the shoulder of the bottle
Leave on counter for 2-3 days.
Get those Greens recipe
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp fat
- 1 Tbsp total seasonings, such as paprika, oregano, thyme
- 4 bunches of greens, chopped, such as spinach, bok choy, kale
Heat potatoes, fat and seasonings. Add chopped veggies and sauté for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
Blum & Bru sells eastern medicinal herbs to put in your broths along with the bones and vegetables.
By Karen Hamilton-Roth